Friday, October 2, 2009

Plastic Surg Appt

Well, things seem to be going pretty good I guess. Brian says I am a little grumpier than normal but that is because I am sleep deprived. I was so glad to get the drains out so I could lay on my side and then I couldn't. The puffy part under my arms just wasn't comfortable to lay on. But things are looking up, except for the allergies that have taken over. I wish this darn weather would make up its mind. Anyway, let me get back on track. The puffy is going down some. I saw Dr Heistein (we will call him Dr H from now on) on Thursday. He said things are really looking good and healing really fast. I do still have some fluid under my right arm which is why it is so puffy. He said he could take it out with a needle but thought my body would probably absorb it, so we left it. The other side, which is puffy, but not as puffy, he said it will go down in time. I was able to get more saline added and my cleavage is growing. It is kind of exciting. It would be nice if there was no pain, but you know what they say, no pain, no gain. I keep telling myself that. I still get the tightness in the muscle that is pulling from the back but it seems to be getting a little better. The scars are healing up. It isn't really as bad as I thought. I have two long scars on my back. They go up and down and there is one on each side. On the breast the only scars I have are a circle where they cut out the nipple and areola, and one line that goes from the circle out toward the arm maybe an inch. They replaced the areola with a circle of skin from my back. It really is amazing what they can do. The rest of the skin is scar free, Dr H said they save 90% of my skin and I believe it. I go back the next two Thursdays to get more fluid added and then I will see him on the next Thursday Oct 22nd.

I guess that is it for now, except for I need to take a moment to say thank you. I want to thank the class of '91 for the beautiful flower arrangement that was waiting for me after surgery. A very special thank you to those who brought food after we got home. I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers during all of this and surgery. My journey isn't over yet but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am at least on the last few 100 miles of this road. I know my journey will never be over but the next path I will take will be as a Breast Cancer Survivor.

I hope everyone stays well and I will talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment